Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bananas, anyone?

The other day I was going to fix pancakes for the children for breakfast. As usual, a million things come up that need attending to before I can get to the pancakes, so I instruct the boys to have a banana until the pancakes are ready. They all dutifully reply, "Aye aye, Cap'n Crunch!" (thank you, Veggie Tales) and head off to eat. As the pancakes are about to be served, I notice Justin not at the table. He's standing in the dining room. "Justin, did you eat a banana?" I inquire. "Yes," he replies. "Are you sure? I didn't see you eating one." "Yes, Mom, I'm sure, I ate a banana!" he assures me enthusiastically. So I decide to ask one of the spies, uh, I mean, brothers. "Luke, did Justin eat a banana?" "No," he dutifully replies. As a side note, Luke is honest to a fault. He cannot tell a lie, whether it pertains to him or someone else. And he will narc on anyone given any opportunity to do so. Now I look at Justin. You know, giving him the "Did you just lie to me, son?!?!" look. Justin immediately blurts out with a complete look of panic, "I don't know what I'm talking about!" I step away so as to not totally laugh in the poor child's face, then once I've composed myself, it's off to the timeout corner for Justin. I have a feeling this is not going to be the last time I hear Justin utter those words when trapped in a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment